What You Can Do
We all can help protect our city, province, and earth by taking action at home and in our community. Here is a short list of ways you can help!
Biodiversity is key to a healthy environment whether we’re talking about habitat on the other side of the world or our own backyard. For that, it’s important that we protect our native species and places! You can do this at home by planting native species in your garden, and by protecting local bird species (more information below).
Our lives and the animals we love are dependent on the world around us so we must do our part to ensure that we can keep our planet healthy for the future. Here are some tips to living more sustainably and reducing your carbon footprint:
- Reduce waste by buying products with minimal packaging or re-using items as many times as possible.
- Use sustainable transportation like carpooling, public transit, walk or bike whenever possible.
- Collect your waste. Assiniboine Park Zoo has a public depot for battery, cell phone, cork, and Nespresso capsule recycling.
Save Our Birds!
Window collisions in North America kill up to one billion birds every year and is a leading cause of songbird population declines. Birds that use habitat in Manitoba can be residents that remain in the province year-round or migrants that fly through in spring and fall.
Birds have a hard time recognizing glass, especially if plants and trees are reflected in the windows. Often nearby trees and plants make windows look like open space that a bird can fly through. Another problem is artificial lights that are left on overnight. These lights are attractive to migrating birds who are drawn to light sources instinctively and often end up hitting windows when trying to navigate through urban areas.
You can help save our birds! Here are some easy, cost-efficient solutions to breaking up window reflections.
- Draw lines on your windows with either a bar of soap or a marker. Space the lines approximately two inches apart to ensure birds can see them.
- Use dots similar to those on the Park Café patio windows. These dots can be ordered online from Feather Friendly.
Help us conserve wild places and wild animals by making a donation to the Assiniboine Park Conservancy's Wildlife Conservation Fund.