Volunteer Opportunities for Teens
Volunteer recruitment is now closed.
Every year volunteers contribute thousands of hours to the Park and Zoo! Teen volunteers have a unique opportunity to earn community service hours while working in a fun, welcoming environment.
What are the benefits of volunteering at Assiniboine Park & Zoo?
- Meet other students with similar interests
- Form new friendships
- Explore and develop new skills and interests
- Increase your knowledge about animals and conservation
- Make connections at Assiniboine Park Conservancy for future career opportunities
- Earn credits for school
- Gain references for scholarship and career opportunities
- Enjoy a meaningful summer experience
There are two volunteer opportunities for teens – Zoo Camp Crew and Teen Ambassador.
This opportunity is for youth ages 14 to 18 looking to earn community service hours while working with visitors at the Zoo and The Leaf. Teen Ambassadors greet visitors, provide directions, help create a welcoming environment, and more! This opportunity requires a commitment of a minimum of one volunteer shift per week for the months of July and August.
Zoo Camp Crew
This is a unique opportunity for youth aged 14 to 18 to earn community service hours while working with 6 to 12 year old children under the direction of our Education team. The Zoo Camp Crew supports camp staff as campers participate in a variety of activities and explore the Zoo and Park. Volunteers must commit to a minimum of 40 hours served in one week blocks in July and August (weekdays only). Fun and engaging orientation and training provided in June.
The Zoo Camp Crew enhances the camp experience by:
- entertaining campers during free time and befriending individual campers as needed.
- setting a positive example and fostering an appreciation of nature.
- assisting staff with set-up, take-down, and clean-up during camp activities.
More Information About Zoo Camp
What is Zoo Camp?
Zoo Camp is a full-day, Monday to Friday activity camp for kids ages 6 to 12. Camp takes place primarily within the Assiniboine Park Zoo, and other locations throughout the Park. Campers participate in fun and educational activities including crafts, games, Zoo tours, and chats with animal care professionals. Camp days, including drop-off and pick-up, take place from 8:00 am – 5:00 pm.
Zoo Camp Crew Volunteers
Zoo Camp Crew is a volunteer opportunity for students aged 14 to 18 years of age. Zoo Camp Crew volunteers assist the Camp Counsellors in making Zoo Camp the best experience possible for our campers. Camp Crew responsibilities include:
- Playing games with campers
- Engaging with campers throughout the day and during activities
- Befriending campers that may need some individualized attention
- Helping camp staff with set-up and clean-up
- Moving supplies throughout the Park and Zoo
Zoo Camp Crew volunteers are required to commit to a minimum of 40 hours of service - 8 hours per day for five consecutive days - in July or August (weekdays only). Volunteers are encouraged to sign up for additional weeks if possible. Volunteers will work with the same group of campers throughout the week, so your commitment is very important to them!
How to Join the Zoo Camp Crew
1. Apply Online
Please click the "Apply Online" button below. Once you have completed the online application, you will receive an email with instructions to sign up for an online meet-up session.
2. Attend an Online Meet-Up Session
Meet-up sessions take place through Microsoft Teams. During this session, a small group of applicants will meet with a Volunteer Resources team member, and learn more about the Zoo Camp Crew program and why volunteering at Zoo Camp is such a great summer experience. Applicants will have the opportunity to learn if the Zoo Camp Crew program is a good fit!
3. Online Orientation and In-Person Training
- New Camp Crew volunteers will complete an online orientation module.
- Volunteers will attend a one-day training session at the Zoo where you will meet your fellow teen volunteers, take a tour of the Zoo, play games, and learn important skills.
- Once training is complete, you will receive a volunteer uniform and a list of what to bring on your first day.
Once you have completed the online orientation module and one-day training session, you can sign up for your Zoo Camp Crew shifts. On your first day, Volunteer Resources staff will assign you to your group and introduce you to your counselor.
You will meet many campers and other Teen Volunteers, and participate in a number of fun activities throughout your week at the Park and Zoo!
If you have any questions about teen volunteer opportunities, please contact the Assiniboine Park Conservancy Volunteer Resources department:
Monday - Friday, 9:00 am - 4:30 pm
Phone: (204) 927-6074